Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IProgresu!

Reputatie

IProgresu!

Profitand de deja faimoasele conferinta de presa si lansare ale lui Apple, una, poate nu chiar istorica, chiar daca Steve Jobs (ne-a) lipsit, avand loc chiar astazi, voi posta/vom posta aici toate noutatile in materie de tehnologie moderna...progresista. De aici si IProgresu! Iata cam ce a continut conferinta de presa a lui Apple, astazi, in care s-a lansat printre altele IPhone 4S:

http://live.gizmodo.com/
    "The minority is sometimes right, the majority always wrong." - A Progres...sive Thinker

"If you support a team that fails to win the league for years, it does feel like a kind of cult'." - Salman Rushdie

Reputatie
    IPho New(s):

New Apple iPhone 4S: All the Information
    Apple's new iPhone 4S is just last year's design loaded with a new brain and more memory. It will run your apps faster and Apple's new iOS5's Assistant, an artificial intelligence program that listens and interprets your orders, and a new camera.

It just looks exactly the same, but there's plenty of changes inside:

Design
    It's the same old design as the iPhone 4. Nothing to say here. Same materials, same look. Plus: Your current case will work.

The guts
    • CPU and graphics: The iPhone 4S now has the iPad 2's dual-core A5 CPU. It also has dual-core graphics, which will allow for faster and more detailed 3D. Apple claims this hardware combination makes the iPhone 4S seven times as fast as the iPhone 4 on games, and two times as fast on normal tasks.

• Internet speed: Like rumored, the new iPhone 4S runs on faster HSPA+ networks. That means that your telephone will download stuff faster from the Internet. Before it was up to 7.2 Megabits-per-second downloads. Now they claim two times as much: 14.4Mbps. This depends on the carrier, of course. I don't know about you, but on AT&T I never get the maximum speed they claim.

Apple claims that, in real life situations, they are fast or "faster" as the competition's phone on faster 4G networks. We will test that claim.

Update: AT&T has pointed out that their phone will be faster than Verizon and Sprint's because their iPhone 4S models will only run on CDMA. The speed boost will only work on HSPA+ networks. If you want that download speed increase, it seems that the only option is AT&T. In addition to that, Verizon and Sprint's iPhone 4S would only do voice or data. AT&T's iPhone 4S will do both simultaneously.

Full size• New camera: There's a new camera in the iPhone 4S. Its sensor is 8 megapixels, compared to the previous 5 megapixels. Much better than before. The most interesting thing is the sensor, however: It's a CMOS backside illuminated sensor. Apple says that gets you 73% more light than the iPhone 4 sensor. The latter was already quite impressive, so I can't wait to try this one. Apple has also remodeled the lens system, with five lens elements. They say they get now f2.4, which is very good.

The camera system is also faster than the previous version.

• New HD video: With the new sensor and new lens system, the camera now shots video at 1080p video with real-time image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.

• Battery life: Apple claims the new processor doesn't impact the life of the battery. All the contrary. They say it will give you 8 hours talking battery life with 3G networks. If you set your phone to 2G, you will get 14 hours of talk time. 3G web browsing will give you six hours of battery life, while Wi-Fi access runs up to nine hours.

Video playback sets the battery at an impressive 10 hours maximum, while music goes up to 40 hours. These numbers best the iPhone 4's previous theoretical battery life.

• New antenna design: Apple says that they have changed the antenna system, presumably to solve the signal attenuation problem.

• Storage: The iPhone comes now with 16, 32 and 64GB of storage.

Siri, the smart assistant
    Apple is also including Siri in the iPhone 4S, which will only run in this model (and presumably the iPad 2). The reason is the need for a faster A5 processor.

It can call people, play music, send and receive text messages and emails, reading them with a natural human voice or set up events and meetings, remind you of stuff... You can also dictate in any app.

But the key about Siri, according to Apple, is that it isn't just voice recognition. It really understands natural language and follows complex commands. It's conversational too, so it will reply back to you and you can reply back to it. Think Enterprise's computer vs the current crop of voice recognition software.

This thing actually seems smart, judging by the demos. It actually interprets what you are saying. You don't talk to it using commands. You just talk to it like you would talk to another person. So instead of asking "tell me the weather today" you can just say "Do I need a raincoat?" and it will reply "It sure does look like rain today!" Or if you say "Wake me up tomorrow at 6am" it will automatically set up the alarm for you. Or "hey, remind me to buy milk later" and it will remind you to buy milk as you pass near a grocery store—yes, Siri is location aware.

Siri also pulls information from Wikipedia and Wolfram Alpha to give you smart answers to your questions. You can even ask him for definitions, which Siri will read out loud.

Apple has not disclosed if Siri would be available for developers, but I don't see why not. It's only logical to expect all apps to be integrated in the assistant flow, so you can ask Siri to buy you two tickets for Avengers playing around 7 on a Sunday. That's the kind of stuff this thing seems able to do, although we would have to try it to know.

Full sizeSiri will only support English, French and German in this release. Apple says that they will keep expanding the services as time goes by.

Price and availability
    The iPhone 4S would be available in black and white. The 16GB model would be $199, 32GB for $299 and 64GB for $399. The iPhone 4 would still be available in black for $99. All these prices require a contract.

You can pre-order the iPhone 4S on October 7. It will be available on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint on October 14.

iPhone 4S international availability : Initially, the iPhone 4S will only be available in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, France, Germany and Japan.

http://gizmodo.com/5846504/new-apple...he-information
    "The minority is sometimes right, the majority always wrong." - A Progres...sive Thinker

"If you support a team that fails to win the league for years, it does feel like a kind of cult'." - Salman Rushdie

Reputatie

Reputatie

Reputatie
    O sa fii one man show. Doar tu IPad.

Reputatie
    Nici chiar asa. O sa las IPad-ul acasa si o sa abordez si alte subiecte in asa fel ca fiecare sa IBe posibilitatea sa contribuie la topic. IProgresu!

Reputatie

Steve Jobs 1955-2011

RIP!

http://www.apple.com/

tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Reputatie
    IBăieții...

Reputatie
    IGenius: How Steve Jobs Changed The World -Program pe Discovery Channel, la ora 23:00, ora Romaniei, cu reluare 2 ore mai tarziu.

Reputatie

Reputatie

Reputatie

Reputatie

Reputatie

Reputatie
    Eu mereu par sa am ceva de comentat, dar articolul asta a fost facut dupa documentarul de la Discovery despre aceeasi problema - evolutia (din multe puncte de vedere) a IPod (Pad) - urilor.

Reputatie
    ILamultiani, IPod! Variatiuni pe aceeasi tema, cu ceva artificii si un pahar de sampanie, poate.

http://www.libertatea.ro/detalii/art...ui-361139.html

Reputatie

Reputatie

Reputatie
    IMRI, IBrain, IMusic, IJoy. Or Not.

Is this the code to joy? The Sunday Times Andrew Smith

I suspected a day would come when music writers did their jobs wearing rubber helmets, with electrodes stuck to their skulls — I just didn’t know it was already here. Welcome to the world of Dr Eduardo Miranda, director of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Computer Music Research at ­the University of Plymouth.

I’m understating the weirdness of the situation. The electrodes, one at the front and one at the rear of my head, read electrical activity as I stare at a computer screen showing red and green “buttons” that pulse at different rates. As I look at the individual buttons, the differing pulse rates are fed from the back of my brain to a synthesizer, in which they trigger ­different notes. In this way, I can “play” the synthesizer by looking at the different buttons on the screen. If I were paralysed, I would have access to a musical instrument — as it is, I have to be all but dragged away from the thing.

There is much more to Miranda’s work, though. Recent news reports described a project, jointly led with Dr Slawomir Nasuto, of the Cybernetics Research Group at the University of Reading, in which three subjects listened to the second movement of Beethoven’s ­Seventh Symphony while lying in an MRI scanner. Data on their responses to the music, as indicated by neurological activity in different areas of the brain, was then fed into a computer program that rewrote the movement in ways designed to appeal to each listener. Miranda finessed the results where ­necessary, but they were real reflections of individual predilections, holding out the prospect of a computer program that could compose bespoke music to alter mood on demand.

So, a possible replacement for anti­depressants somewhere down the line? Or a first step towards making human ­composition redundant? The singer Jessie Ware was quoted as saying: “I hope it doesn’t wipe every musician out of a job.” You can see her point.

Miranda couldn’t be less Frankenstein-like in the flesh. He is Brazilian by birth, and his parents forced him to learn piano as a hedge against his youthful football ­obsession, then encouraged him to ­forsake music for computer engineering at university. He moved freely between the two spheres until he heard Stockhausen and the Greek composer Iannis Xenakis, who pioneered the integration of music with architecture and maths, and was an early experimenter in electronic music. Just as important, a ban on the import of computer equipment into Brazil, as the country tried to develop its own industry, forced him to build his own synthesizers and computer interfaces, and to write his own programming language. He regards himself as a composer, rather than a scientist.

The results of what became Symphony of Minds Listening are fascinating. None of the three Beethoven analogues rivals the original, to my ears, but then they weren’t designed to — for that, I would need an MRI scan. Taken together, they offer significant clues as to how we listen to music. “Music happens up here,” Miranda reminds me, tapping his forehead. “We don’t usually think of it this way, but it is a construction of the mind.”

One of his Symphony subjects was a ballerina; another a philo­sopher. The first was found to be listening with the active involvement of areas of the brain governing motion, and her bespoke Beethoven movement was more rhythmic than the others. The philo­sopher listened with increased involvement from areas of the brain associated with abstract thought, producing a bracing, arrhythmic piece that made me think of the composer Luciano Berio. Unsurprisingly, brain scans from the third subject, Miranda himself, elicited a more melodic result.

You can watch the scans and listen to the music they inspired at symphony-of-minds-listening.webs.com/listen-watch. What you see amounts to a force­ful demonstration of how unique is the process of listening to each individual.

Does Miranda fear the ­programmer Jekyll putting his artistic Hyde out of business, though? “I don’t think so,” he smiles wearily, having heard this question many times before. “It’s like the calculator, which mathematicians thought would make them redundant. These things are useful tools, but they don’t replace us, because our perceptions of the world are ­changing all the time, and computers can’t keep up with that. Culture changes, and our ­perceptions change with it.”

The difference is experience, in other words, which computers don’t have. Yet.

“I think the wonder of art is a human thing. The question is always ‘What is this communicating to me subliminally — what wasn’t the artist aware of, and why don’t I understand the effect it has on me?’ I think computer-composed music will be appreciated as a piece of music that will do something to you, as a utilitarian device, not in an aesthetic way.”

“Rather like The X Factor,” I find myself thinking. And suddenly I’m very, very scared...

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1259505.ece
    Last edited by miril; 19th May 2013 at 11:45.

Reputatie

Reputatie