Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada

Reputatie

Mao Asada

ASADA’S WINNING WAYS

Winning is what Asada has always been about. Since she began competing in the junior ranks, she has been a force to contend with on the international circuit.

The 2007 World Championships in her Japanese homeland, where Asada placed second, were a revelation for the bubbly teenager. “It was the first time I realized I could become the World champion,” she said. “Last year, when I came in second at Worlds I realized that I wanted to be first.”

And so it was that Asada headed into the 2008 World Championships in Sweden with one goal in mind. “This year I wanted to win but I did not know if I could or not,” she said.

But her golden dream had a couple of minor hiccups. In second place after the short, Asada lost control on the opening triple Axel at the very beginning of her free skate. After careening across the ice into the boards she said she believed she had no chance of winning the gold medal.

“I thought I could do the jump but I think I lost my edge. I was just surprised, not afraid after the fall,” Asada said. “I just thought I missed the gold medal. So after I checked my body I just concentrated on my program.”

Asada was down but not out. She attacked the remainder of her program with an abandon that had the crowd roaring long before the last note of her music died. “I was determined to be perfect even without the Axel,” the 17-year-old stated with quiet confidence.

Sitting in the kiss and cry waiting for her marks, Asada said she had no idea where she had placed. “When the marks came up, I saw I was in second place in the free skate so I thought I was going to be second,” she said. “But then the final results came up and I saw I was in first. I was like, ‘Wow!’ After the fall it was a big surprise to win.”

Buttle, a former training mate of Asada, said he was not surprised. “Honestly, when she took the fall on the Axel I was shocked,” he said. “That is a freak thing — it does not really happen to her. But she got up and kept going and I thought, ‘She is going to do it.’ If there is anyone who is mentally strong, it is Mao.”

REWIND

She could easily have become a ballerina after her mother enrolled her in classes at age 3. But that was not the stage Asada was destined to shine on.

A couple of years later when her older sister Mai enrolled in skating classes, Mao tagged along. As the younger sibling, she did everything her sister did.

The two-time Japanese champion said she loved skating from the very beginning. Identified as a talent while still a child, Asada started taking lessons from famed Japanese coach Machiko Yamada.

The charming young woman does not remember the first event she ever won but recalled that she placed eighth at her first competition.

As Asada rose through the junior ranks her talent and technical ability were recognized internationally. At age 12 she executed the first triple-triple-triple combination (triple flip-triple loop-triple toe loop) in competition.

The Nagoya native made history when she landed two triple Axels during the free skate at her national championships in 2005 and again at the World Junior Championships in 2006 when she landed a triple Axel in the short program.

A NEW START

Asada went to 2008 Worlds without a coach after splitting with U.S. coach Rafael Arutunian, with whom she had worked for two years.

“I really liked training in America,” Asada said, smiling brightly. “Two years ago when I went to Los Angeles there were no ice rinks in Nagoya and I had to always take private ice. That is why I went to the U.S. in the first place. But last year a new ice rink opened near my home, so now I don’t need to train outside of Japan.”

Buttle, who trained alongside Asada on and off for two years, said she was an inspiration to him. “She works really hard and she is so consistent,” he said. “Our training approaches are so different. She would be on the ice for maybe six hours sometimes versus my three. So I started to increase my hours on the ice. It was so good for me.”

There is another reason Asada is happy to be residing in Japan once again. Her 3-year-old toy poodle Aero gave birth to two female puppies, which Asada named Tiara and Komachi, last December.

While competing at the Grand Prix Final, Asada received a call from her mother telling her that Aero was about to give birth. “Before the free program Aero was trying to have her babies and so I said I will also have to do my best,” she said with laughter. “I am so happy that I can be relaxed at home with my puppies now.”

Too young to compete at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games, Asada is looking to make her mark in 2010. “I don’t know if it is possible but I want to be the Olympic champion,” Asada shyly admitted. “I am not sure, but maybe I will continue on to 2014. I want to compete as long as I can. I just love to skate.”

Reputatie
    "We believe Hanyu could win the gold because Daisuke Takahashi, the ace in Japan’s men’s figure skating, paved the way to the world for the other Japanese figure skaters."
    The Japan News, February 2014

Reputatie
    Un articol despre Mao
    http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2007/060708.shtml
    Asada Assumes Azimuth
    Mao Asada
    June 7, 2008
    Article and Photo by Barry Mittan

Mao Asada performs to Chopin's So Deep is the Night
    Japan's Mao Asada won her first gold medal at the World Figure Skating Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden in March. The event proved to be redemption for the teenager who had been edged off of the top of the podium the preceding year by teammate Miki Ando, forcing Asada to settle for the silver.

"Last year I made big mistakes in the short program," Asada noted. "I learned not to make big mistakes in the short. I also learned to keep going even after I made mistakes."

At this year's Worlds, Asada needed some points fast after the short program. She lost about ten points when she slipped off her plant foot as she went into her opening triple Axel and slid into the boards. It took her a few more seconds to re-orient herself before sailing through the rest of her program to score 121.46 points. Although she finished second in both the short and the long, she was able to outpoint Italy's Carolina Kostner 185.56 to 184.68.

But both totals were well off her personal bests. Asada has scored as high as 199.52 at the NHK Trophy in 2006, the world record for highest combined score under the ISU Judging System. At the 2007 Worlds, she broke the world record for the highest free skate score with 133.13 points.

Asada has been the darling of the skating world since she won the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in 2005, then finished second to Yu-Na Kim in 2006. She made her senior debut in the 2005-06 season, winning the 2006 ISU Grand Prix Final, then finishing second at the 2007 World Figure Skating Championships, both in Japan.

This season, Asada took the silver at the 2007-08 Grand Prix Final after winning gold at Skate Canada and Trophée Eric Bompard. Two months later she took gold in her debut at the Four Continents Championships in Goyang, South Korea.

"I landed the triple-triple combination and I was so happy about it because I made the same mistakes all year on the combination in competition," Asada said of her short program. "I was very happy about how I skated in the long program. I'm especially pleased that I landed the triple Axel."

In her latest competition, Asada led Team Japan to a victory at the Japan Open In Tokyo in late April. Asada used her long program to Fantasie Impromptu and scored higher than both Takeshi Honda and Daisuke Takahashi in the event. To date, the two-time defending Japanese senior ladies champion has never finished lower than third at an ISU event.

For the 2007-08 season, Asada used a triple flip-triple loop combination in the short, along with a triple Lutz and double Axel. She opened her long program with a triple Axel, then added two triple-triple combinations - a triple flip-triple toe and a triple flip-triple loop. She also included a double Axel-double loop-double loop combination and two solo triples - the loop and the Lutz - before ending with a double Axel.

"Last year I concentrated on training for steps," stated Asada. "Now I'm trying to get more points from my spiral and things other than jumps. Maybe in the summer I will work on the quadruple toe loop or quadruple loop. I tried them in practice before but haven't landed a clean one."

Asada also wants to have a triple Axel combination. "I don't know yet if I'll do two triple Axels in competition again," she said. "My goal is perfection." Asada did not use the triple Salchow in either program in 2007-08, even though it was the first triple she landed when she was eight or nine. She's also landed a quadruple salchow in practice.
    "When we calculated the levels and points, my best program was without the triple Salchow," Asada explained. "I have no problem with landing it clean, but I don't really like it. I like the triple Axel the best. I used to practice Axels when I was very little so the Axel is natural for me."

Asada first landed the triple Axel when she was only 13, and proceeded to set several records with the jump. She was the first lady to land a triple Axel in a major ISU Junior competition (2005 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final), the first to land two triple Axels during a free skate program (2005 Japanese Nationals), and the first to land a triple Axel in the short program at an ISU championship (2006 Worlds).

The 17-year-old has been landing triple Axels and triple-triple combinations in novice and junior competition since 2001. When she was eleven, Asada became the first skater to land a triple-triple-triple (triple flip-triple loop-triple toe loop) in competition.

Asada started skating when she was five, following in the footsteps of her older sister, Mai - also a senior international competitor. Both sisters had started out in ballet, with Mao beginning her training at the age of three and continuing formal lessons until she was nine.

"Mai and I were taking ballet and my mother thought she needed stronger ankles, so she took her to the skating rink that was only ten minutes from our house," Asada explained. "I happened to be with her so I took lessons too."

Machiko Yamada, who trained the first Japanese world champion, Midori Ito, initially developed Asada's skills, but when she turned senior, Asada began training with Rafael Arutunian at Lake Arrowhead in California in the summer of 2006. In January 2008, she decided to return to Japan to work with coaches from the Japanese Skating Federation. "I wanted to stay in Japan with my family, eat Japanese food and play with my puppy," said Asada. "I didn't care that my coach was not there."

Asada now trains at the university ice rink in Nagoya for four hours a day, five days a week. She also continues with ballet in her hour and a half daily off-ice training sessions.

"I have plenty of time on the ice at the new rink," said Asada. "Before, I had to travel to three rinks and skate at midnight or one o'clock in the morning because it was so hard to get private ice in Japan. I know what I need to do in training and I do it. I may have a new coach this summer."

One of the coaches that she is considering is Tatiana Tarasova, who coached Japan's only Olympic gold medallist in figure skating, Shizuka Arakawa, in 2006. But since Tarasova is caring for her ailing mother in Russia, the logistics of such a pairing are difficult.

Asada came to know and trust Tarasova when she choreographed Asada's 2007-08 short program, using Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra by Jean-Claude Petit. Lori Nichol choreographed her long program to Fantasie Impromptu by Frederic Chopin. Asada also used Chopin's So Deep is the Night for her gala program.

Just as in 2007-08, Asada will have two new programs for the coming season. She has travelled to Russia to work with Tarasova on her new long program, after which she will go to Canada to work with Nichol on her new short.

Asada has one more year of high school left before she can graduate - another reason she wants to train in Japan. "I had a lot of homework when I was in Lake Arrowhead," she said, "but it was hard to keep up with my schoolwork."

Her favorite subjects are art and gymnastics. "I like drawing landscapes," Asada added. Other than ballet, her off ice pursuits include hanging out with her friends, listening to pop music, collecting skating pins, doing jigsaw puzzles and reading fantasy novels. Asada's favorite pastime is playing with her toy poodle, Aero, named after a chocolate bar and her two puppies, Tiara and Komachi. Aero was even featured as a skating dog in a Japanese commercial that Asada made for the chocolate company after it found out that she was a fan of their products. She has also done commercials for Olympus cameras.

Mao and her sister Mai have also been named as goodwill ambassadors between Japan and Canada and have traveled to Canada in that role. Her years in California have improved Asada's English, but she still listed proficiency in the language as one of her personal goals.

Asada is also hoping to return to Canada in 2010 when the Winter Olympic Games are held in Victoria, British Columbia. Although she will be among the favorites for those games, she also noted that she was already feeling old at 17 and would face stiff competition from youngsters such as Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu.
    "We believe Hanyu could win the gold because Daisuke Takahashi, the ace in Japan’s men’s figure skating, paved the way to the world for the other Japanese figure skaters."

Reputatie
    Multam Ade pt articol!
    mi-ar placea sa mai lucreze cu Tarasova, ar face o treaba buna si merita efortul mobilizarii dintr-un loc in altul...

Reputatie
    Nu cred ca va reusi 2 de 3A intr-un program..e prea mult totusi si risca sa se accidenteze sau sa se supra-solicite. Mai bine lucreaza sa-si perfectioneze elementele ce le are acum. Asa cum spune si ea in articol: la spirale si piruete. In plus Mao Asada e cunoscuta pt faptul ca triseaza la triplu Lutz..poate ar trebui sa lucreze si la acest element.
    Mao are tot ceea ce ii trebuie pt a fi o mare campioana...trebuie doar sa gaseasca antrenorul care sa puna cap la cap totul, iar Tarasova poate fi acea persoana....vom vedea
    Eu tot cu Yu-na si cu Miki tin
    www.fangymnastics.com

Reputatie
    Si eu tin cu Yu-na.
    "Cand simt nevoia de maretie, la Yagudin ma intorc."

Reputatie
    Si eu cu Miki

Reputatie
    eu cu mao!!!!

Reputatie
    Si tu esti singura on topic
    Mao e o patinatoare foarte buna...dar nu e preferata mea...

Reputatie
    mie mao mi-a placut mult cand am remarcat-o prima data anul trec parca, cand a facut un program lung superb dupa parerea mea, dar a luat doar locul 2. stiu ca miki ando a avut noroc atunci

Reputatie
    pe mine m-a impresionat mult lp-ul ei de anul asta. revenirea dupa cazatura a fost spectaculoasa.
    "Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive."

Reputatie
    Forfota continua.

Asada to train with Tarasova
    Skater will make short trips to Moscow to work with legendary coach

(06/24/2008) - World champion Mao Asada announced Tuesday that she will switch her coaching affiliation to Russian Tatiana Tarasova, beginning immediately.

Asada left coach Rafael Arutunian shortly before the 2008 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in March. Reportedly, Tarasova has been lending Asada some coaching help since then, and Asada has decided to train with her full time. "She will design a program just for me. That means a lot. She tailored a new program just for me with next season in mind. She has a lot of power," Asada said during a press conference in Japan.

Tarasova's former students include 2006 Olympic gold medalist Shizuka Arakawa, 2006 Olympic silver medalist Sasha Cohen , two-time Olympic medalist Michelle Kwan and three-time U.S. champion Johnny Weir. Currently, she has been working with reigning U.S. national champion Evan Lysacek.

Asada, 17, hopes that Tarasova can help her achieve a place on the podium at the 2010 Olympic Games. She was ineligible to compete at the last Olympics, due to her age. The Associated Foreign Press reports that Asada will be based out of Chukyo University in Aichi prefecture but travel to Moscow to work with Tarasova.
    Last edited by Tracoromana; 24th June 2008 at 21:01.

Reputatie
    Multumim Flavia!
    Important de stiut ca va lucra FULL TIME cu Tarasova...chestia asta promite multe (medalii)

Reputatie
    Antrenamentul lui Mao Asada alaturi de Tatiana Tarasova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37Dy...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IFhsj-qZ5I

Sa va uitati in special la spirale...nu vi se pare ca si-a imbunatatit foarte mult mobilitatea, Mao?
    www.fangymnastics.com

Reputatie
    Un articol despre Mao si antrenoarea sa, Tatiana Tarasova:

Mao Asada opened her training under new coach Tatiana Tarasova

This is an article in “Mainichi Shinbun” in Japan.
    http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/news/...50029000c.html

Translation into English.
    August 23rd, 2008 (JST)
    Mao Asada opened her training under new coach to the media for the first time.

By Yoshimasa Muto
    Mao Asada (Chukyo University Chukyo High School) opened her training under Russian new coach Tatiana Tarasova to the media for the first time at Chukyo University ice arena in Toyota City in Aichi Prefecture in August 23rd.

The coaching by Tatiana coach who had brought up Turin Olympics gold medalist Shizuka Arakawa etc, began on August 15th.
    After disclosing that Mao Asada succeeded in the combination jump "triple jump from triple Axel jump" for two straight days, Tarasova coach said "Any one has never done by the practice until she does, and I am glad because she made me surprise".

Mao Asada said, "I would like to do my best for being told that I had become better than last year", and she said, "I would like to put a triple Axel twice in the program of this season if the condition was well" aggressively.

As for Beijing Olympics being open, she seemed to have gotten a stimulation like saying "I watched the Olympics while I think that I would like to be like this, because the gold medal in Olympics is my dream".

The coaching of Tarasova coach this time is until August 25th, and as for the next time it is scheduled to be done in Moscow in October.

Explanation of the photo:
    Photography: Yoshimasa Muto
    Asada who handshakes with Tarasova new coach ( the right ) by the press interview.
    In August 23rd, 2008 at Toyota city in Aichi Prefecture.

The training of the FS "Waltz from Masquerade" under new coach.
    http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=EfLmHokFEEw
    Sursa:http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60625

Mao Asada and Lori Nichol Interview
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61419
    Last edited by whisper; 10th October 2008 at 22:02.

Reputatie
    La finala de Grand Prix a facut 2 triplu Axel. Bravo !
    Laura, maailman kaunein tyttö

Reputatie
    chiar bravo !!!!
    "Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive."

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet4 View Post
    La finala de Grand Prix a facut 2 triplu Axel. Bravo !
    wow! asta da
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]There's no point in being grown up if u can't be childish sometimes.[/FONT]

Reputatie
    Adevarul e ca Mao a avut un program foarte bun si din punct de vedere tehnic, cu coregrafie foarte frumoasa, totul a fost foarte intens si in viteza, muzica frumoasa, costum frumos, nimic de spus. E si genul de patinatoare care se poate concentra in concurs.

Reputatie
    frumos, elegant, pasional, tot ce vrei de la un program de gala !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7_bJ...eature=related

Reputatie
    gasiti aici mai multe filmulete din viata lui Mao...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/happythings2
    Adevaratul erou nu este perfect. Adevaratul test al unui campion nu este daca poate triumfa, ci daca poate trece obstacolele - preferabil cele create chiar de el - pentru a triumfa...