Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek

Reputatie
    ICE: The Olympics are just 18 months away, and two top male skaters -- reigning world champion Jeffrey Buttle and two-time world champion Stéphane Lambiel -- have just retired. What do you make of it?
    LYSACEK: I am good friends with both Jeff and Stéphane, and I think they are both very happy with their decisions. As a friend, all I want for them is to be happy. They have both left a very impressive legacy in skating. They are two of my favorite skaters to watch, and I will continue to admire and respect them.
    Frumoasa declaratie

Multam Iulya!
    "We believe Hanyu could win the gold because Daisuke Takahashi, the ace in Japan’s men’s figure skating, paved the way to the world for the other Japanese figure skaters."
    The Japan News, February 2014

Reputatie
    Last edited by Iulya; 26th October 2008 at 13:00.
    [B][I][CENTER]Zoltan Kelemen/Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat/Alena Leonova/ Anna Cappelini & Luca Lanotte/Florent Amodio/Aliona Savchebko & Robin Szolkowy/Alexander Majorov/[/CENTER][/I][/B]

[CENTER] Anybody can root for a winning side. It takes character to stick with the underdogs![/CENTER]

Reputatie
    Skater Lysacek: ‘Michelle Kwan is a total Yoda’
    Olympic hopeful Evan Lysacek on fashion, heroes, and the future of skating

U.S. National Champion figure skater and Vancouver 2010 candidate Evan Lysacek will not be caught dead in a sequined skating getup from Russia — but he will wear Dior and bring his quad to competition. Here, the stylish 24-year old athlete from Illinois answers reader questions about fashion, his heroes, and the famed quadruple jump.

Q: Do you think a skater has to have an unusual inner talent for skating to get where you are, or can it be learned? Good luck in 2010! -Carol Helfrick, Grand Rapids, Mich.

A: When I first started skating I had no talent at all. I had no feel for the ice. It takes your body a while to adjust. I wasn’t like a natural, which you hear a lot of skaters say. It was something that I learned.
    More important than talent or anything is your heart. You're either born with the heart of an athlete or not, because in sports you go through so much adversity. You want to quit. In any sport — in soccer or baseball — you have a bad day and you want to quit. But the most important thing is to be persistent.

Q: I am a huge fan of figure skating — have been for years. I was able to catch you on the TODAY show – it was a great performance, by the way. I was wondering if you get dizzy from the spin turns that you do? -Suzie, Wichita, Kan.

A: A lot of the spins and turns happen so quickly — it's like when you go upside down on a roller coaster and it happens so fast that you don’t have that second of thinking, 'I'm upside-down.'

The jumps happen in like a quarter of a second; a quad is a split-second jump. And in the spins you spin so fast that everything is just a blur; you don't see anything go by.

The stuff that I get dizzy on is the simpler turns when you're turning slower, and you actually do seeing things going around. But I have to admit we all say when we skate at Rockefeller we get a little dizzy because there is so much going on around you when you look up! [TODAYshow.com: Sorry, Evan!]

Q: Are you planning to do the quad in both your short and long programs at Worlds [March 22-29 in L.A.]? -Emily, Perrysburg, Ohio

A: Yes, I'm planning to do it in my long at Worlds. It’s a really challenging jump and it's just really dangerous. When you get nervous or tense a little bit you tend to hold back a and not go for it all the way, but if you don’t go through with the jump all the way you end up at an off angle or under-rotation. That’s when you fall really hard and get injured really easily. But yes, it's definitely in for Worlds.

Q: Do you think having the quad is the only way to win the gold medal? -Ann Pettey, Bolingbrook, Ill.

A: The quad is the future of our sport. Our judging system has become so technically driven that we have to now focus on the technique and push the envelope.

We've lost our six-point scale of judging. The "6.0" was such a huge brand for our sport and we lost that brand when we lost that system. One brand we have now is the quad; it's the only thing that’s recognizable to anyone, whether they know skating or not.

If you're not moving forward and trying to push yourself beyond your own limit, then you're holding everyone else back. I don’t think it would be as satisfying if I skate great without it. We're trying to take the sport to a whole new level.

Q: How do you balance and find time for skating and other off-ice interests and friends? -Kim, State College, Pa.

A: It's difficult to balance it, actually. I'm still experimenting and learning and growing.

Q: Who's your costume designer? I like the "James Bond" look on you. -Maria Enderby, Williamsville, N.Y.

A: I've been really lucky; I've worn runway designs from Gianfranco Ferre, Christian Dior, Alexander McQueen and this year I was sort of in a panic because I was getting these costumes sent to me from Russia that were totally not my style. They were overdone as far as sequins and glitz — just tacky to me.

Q: Who's your favorite fashion designer? –Lauren, New York City

A: Hedi Slimane, the guy who designs for Yves Saint Laurent.

When I'm training I wear this one brand — it's sports gear but it has a design element. It's by Yohji Yamamoto. He has a sports line that's collaboration with Adidas called Y-3. It's awesome. I have this one lucky jacket; it's black with a white Y-3 e on it. Three is my lucky number. When I compete I do everything three times — stretch my quads three times, walk through my routine three times.

I'd love to have Yohji Yamamoto design something for me. Maybe next year!

Q: Who would you say your hero in skating is? -Alyssa Nuernberger, Medford, Wis.

A: Scott Hamilton is a hero of mine. He did so much on the ice. He was an Olympic champion from the U.S., which is amazing. He has a similar style to mine, really athletic, but he lets the focus be on skating.

When he turned professional … He wanted to be packaged as an individual personality on the ice. He was the first to wear golf gear to skate or wear a rock wig. He was so inventive and so creative but all in a very masculine way. He's an entertainer and an athlete, which is the greatest combination.

Michelle Kwan, too, because I train with her sometimes. She's been through so many experiences in skating … she was so dominant in the sport for such a long time. At Nationals she was giving me advice leading up to the competition, because she's been there. She just always says the right thing. She's a total Yoda. I love skating with her still; we have the same taste in music, too.

Q: Do you two jam out on the ice? –TODAYshow.com

A: Yeah, we do, totally.

Q: Anything else you want to add? –TODAYshow.com

A: I love the TODAY show. I watch it every day. Not the whole thing, because I have to get ready and go to the rink. It has the morning vibe.

Q: Are you a morning person? –TODAYshow.com

A: No, not at all. God, no.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29185856/
    [B][I][CENTER]Zoltan Kelemen/Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat/Alena Leonova/ Anna Cappelini & Luca Lanotte/Florent Amodio/Aliona Savchebko & Robin Szolkowy/Alexander Majorov/[/CENTER][/I][/B]

[CENTER] Anybody can root for a winning side. It takes character to stick with the underdogs![/CENTER]

Reputatie
    L.A. Times article by Helene Elliott: Evan Lysacek gets confidence boost in Toronto

Video interview by NBC Sports in L.A.: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/sports/...s_Angeles.html

Reputatie
    Lysacek wins men's title on one good foot
    Stress fracture puts participation in ISU team event in doubt

By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com
    (03/27/2009) - Evan Lysacek did a perfect quad toe at the ISU Four Continents Championships last month, but he left the jump out of his repertoire last night.

As things turned out, he didn't need it. Competing in his adopted hometown, the Chicagoan hit eight clean triples -- including two triple Axels -- and won the free skate by 4.5 points, becoming the first U.S. man since Todd Eldredge in 1996 to win world gold.

After it was over, the newly crowned world champ revealed why he'd left the four-revolution jump in his skate bag: he's spent the last few weeks training with a stress fracture in his left foot.

"I knew I wasn't going to [be able to] do a quad," he said. "The doctor told me it wasn't going to happen."

Before the event, Lysacek and his coach, Frank Carroll, downplayed the injury, owning up only to a sore left foot. Afterwards, the skater admitted it has been troubling him for much of the season.

"I've sort of been dealing with it for the last five-and-a-half months, but we just found out two weeks ago that it was a stress fracture," he told reporters. "I'll have to get it in a cast at some point for four weeks."

Depending upon the timing of that cast, the injury has put Lysacek's participation in the inaugural ISU World Team Trophy, to be held in Tokyo April 16-19, in doubt. U.S. Figure Skating is scheduled to send two men, two ladies, a pair and an ice dance team to that event.

Lysacek said the injury was almost a blessing in disguise.

"It sort of limited me in practice, which was kind of good, because I tend to over train," he said, adding that shorter sessions forced him to be more concentrated and workmanlike on the ice.

One thing is for sure: he wasn't feeling any pain standing on the top of the podium.

"This whole event, I knew it was going to be special because I always loved skating in this building. It's such an electric building, and the people of L.A. have been so supportive.

"I couldn't have asked for a better crowd today. That's why I was so thrilled. I will never forget this performance for the rest of my life."
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Lysacek roars to world title in Los Angeles
    Patrick Chan second; Brian Joubert third

By Linda Przygodski
    (03/27/2009) - Evan Lysacek didn't have a quad, and it didn't matter.

In the end, it came down to who had the best night on the ice, and Thursday at the 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, it was Lysacek.

"Tonight I wasn't thinking about winning," said Lysacek. "I wasn't thinking about medaling; I just wanted to skate well. To have the title hasn't really soaked in yet. My legs were a little stiff, because I was nervous, but once I hit that first jump, I took a deep breath and felt really good."

The two-time U.S. champ trailed Frenchman Brian Joubert by 1.70 points heading into the free skate, but the American's flawless program to "Rhapsody in Blue" grabbed 159.53 points, winning the free skate by some eight points. It was energetic and much more dynamic than his performances at the AT&T U.S. Championships in January, where he lost his national title and finished third.

His total overall score of 242.23 allowed him to easily win his first world title ahead of silver medalist Patrick Chan of Canada and bronze medalist Joubert.

The much ballyhooed war of words over the quad turned out to be just a sideshow for the media.

Chan, who did not have any quads in his programs, may have spent too much time worrying about the fact that Joubert did. In the end, both Chan and Joubert made mistakes, letting the title slip from their fingers.
    "When I landed the first jump, I was really surprised," commented Chan, who already defended his Canadian title this winter and won the Four Continents gold medal soon afterwards. "I rushed the toe loop, but I was still happy to stay on my feet the whole program."

For the second year in a row, in a somewhat embarrassing fashion, Joubert was proved wrong. You could almost hear a chorus of "once bitten, twice shy," rise up when he planted face first onto the ice on a double Axel late in his program.

The Frenchman, who won the European title in January, managed to hold on to a podium finish but was visibly shaken.

"I felt strong at the beginning of the program," Joubert said. "After the first two jumps, I thought I'd skate clean. The error on the second triple Axel cost me my concentration and threw me off. I paid for the beginning of the season, with a lack of practice and equipment problems. But, I know I could have done better. I was ready to get the gold medal. ... Obviously, I am very disappointed."

Tomas Verner of the Czech Republic was fourth, and Samuel Contesti of Italy placed fifth.

Team USA's Brandon Mroz stepped out of his opening quad toe, popped a triple Axel and stepped out of his triple Salchow. He captured ninth place.

"I felt good," said Mroz. "Getting through the quad, I had a little step. I was pushing through expectations this year."

Jeremy Abbott's troubles continued Thursday. He turned out of his two triple Axels and, despite elegance and artistry, he took a hit on his marks. Abbott earned just 132.52 for his free skate, 204.67 overall.

That dropped the reigning U.S. champion to 11th place.

"I didn't expect myself to be in this position," Abbott explained. "I had a rough time. My program wasn't bad. I gave it my full heart."

Lysacek's win combined with Mroz's placement guarantees the U.S. three spots on the men's Olympic team at the 2010 Games in Vancouver.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "We believe Hanyu could win the gold because Daisuke Takahashi, the ace in Japan’s men’s figure skating, paved the way to the world for the other Japanese figure skaters."

Reputatie
    Lysacek and the Lakers: Just a bunch of champions
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...he-lakers.html

Reputatie
    http://www.dnamodels.com/

cateva poze artistice cu Evan, la MEN
    Adevaratul erou nu este perfect. Adevaratul test al unui campion nu este daca poate triumfa, ci daca poate trece obstacolele - preferabil cele create chiar de el - pentru a triumfa...

Reputatie
    maiculitza ce poze.....si mie care mi se parea uratzel ....pe vremuri

Reputatie
    emi, mersi fain de poze. evan chiar e un tip bine facut, daca ar inceta sa patineze programe plictisitoare in concurs poate as deveni si fan
    acum cred ca ma pun sa ma uit si la alte talente de pe siteul ala
    "Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive."

Reputatie
    USA's Lysacek polishes skating program for Vancouver Games
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...-lysacek_N.htm

incepator
    Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by irinaidu View Post
    emi, mersi fain de poze. evan chiar e un tip bine facut, daca ar inceta sa patineze programe plictisitoare in concurs poate as deveni si fan
    Acum s-a 'bronzat' bine inante de Skate America si e pe post de pielita de pui crocanta...Era o culoare un pic mai normala la sfarsitul saptamanii, dar tot arata intr-un hal fara de hal. Si intr-adevar daca ar avea niste programe cat de cat mai interesante, poate n-as fi bagat de seama la fel de usor.

http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photog...cf7662066.html

Reputatie
    oh dear god, cineva i-a scapat lotiunea de bronzat pe fata !!!
    "Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive."

Reputatie
    Originally Posted by irinaidu
    evan chiar e un tip bine facut, daca ar inceta sa patineze programe plictisitoare in concurs poate as deveni si fan
    Plictisitoare sau nu, din punct de vedere al muncii facute, se vede ca si Evan ca si Oda si ca si Johnny au muncit in perioada de pregatire, programele sunt lucrate pana la amanunt. Acuma .... cat i-o tine talentul, puterile si nervii pentru mai departe. Pana azi Evan are al doilea punctaj al sezonului.
    "Cand simt nevoia de maretie, la Yagudin ma intorc."

Reputatie
    Cand a castigat aurul olimpic Vancouver 2010 , una dintre primele persoane care l-a felicitat a fost Nastia Lukin.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/E...ERNlmRThQs.jpg http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/F..._lZHXtLMSs.jpg http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/2...P15p9f5c_s.jpg
    Last edited by Tracoromana; 20th February 2010 at 12:26.
    "Cand simt nevoia de maretie, la Yagudin ma intorc."

Reputatie
    Dupa cate se pare nu o sa scapam de Evan:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...v=ap&type=lgns
    he would love “to be there” for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

“I don’t know if I’m welcome in Russia for a little while,” he said, before adding, “I’m kidding. I’d love to be there.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...urn=oly,220954

17. 22nd February 2010, 00:54
    Reason
    [pentru a nu crea noi certuri]

Reputatie
    si uite asa deveni si lysacek campion olimpic. boring cine s-a gandit vreodata la asta ? ce nedrept e sportul
    [B][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"][I]I don't believe in God, I believe in Roger Federer[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Reputatie
    Super. Vine si la Soci. Va imaginati ce atmosfera va fi la programele lui ?

Dar la Torino de ce nu vine ? Da' sincer, va rog eu, ca de brasoave sunt satul...
    Zbor pana la stele.

Reputatie
    pai cine poate sti sa te lamureasca in mod sigur ? poate cineva de aici? nu cred. numai el stie
    [B][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"][I]I don't believe in God, I believe in Roger Federer[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Reputatie
    Tot de pe forum zice cineva ca a semnat un contract ca a participa la un nou sezon "Dancing with the stars" asa ca nu e vorba nici de lasitate, nici de altceva.Adevarul e ca mi-a placut ca a zis ca nu stie daca o sa fie binevenit in Rusia, are dreptate
    Si nu cred ca o sa participe si la Sochi, si daca o sa o faca cred ca o sa ia o pauza, o sa faca ca Plushenko, adica o sa revina in anul ala.Om traii si om vedea.

Reputatie
    Sincer nici eu nu cred ca Evan Lysacek va participa si la Sochi si daca va participa sper ca nu va lua tot aurul, ar fi culmea sa devina dublu campion olimpic si sa se intample lucrul asta in Rusia pe teritoriul lui Plushenko!
    Eu la Sochi sper sa ia aurul Brian sau Steph, merita si ei un aur olimpic!
    "Că ai căzut nu are importanță deoarece numai modul în care te ridici contează" Nelson Mandela

"Figure skating needs to be aesthetic" Stephane Lambiel
    Echipa de Gimnastică a României-Simply the best