Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: English Forum: the beginning

sport legend
    Reputatie
    First of all it is the particularity of each language…. There are words in one language you can not translate the exactly meaning in another. More than that, it depends of the voice you talk, and so on. Second, in Romania it is used that mother to be very kind and, very permissive with her kids. Let them do everything they want. The father is tough meaning a bit more severe, “the authority” at home. (to give you an example: Mom said at 9:30 PM kids are in bed to sleep. At 10:00 PM they are still playing around and having fun. Then, the father comes in the bedroom and shut of the light, “scold” them. Finally, the kids listen.). Steliana’s Mom should be both mom and dad since she grew up two sons and a daughter by herself after divorce. Life is not easy, all of us know that.

Here, it is not that much scold Steliana, is most likely express her sadness. I don’t know what she said, but I imagine something like that: “how could you fall? Ah Steliana! You could win a medal here! You should focus more, I told you so many times…” This is what most of the parents will say.

Steliana’s Mom knows that Stela is a hard worker and she is doing her best and – again it is what I suppose happened – after hanging the phone she was feeling sorry she did not support Steliana saying something as: My dear Steliana, I am sorry for you, I know you work hard, and so on”…. And feeling this way, she apologize in front of the camera, on tv, in front of whole nation.

I don’t think is anything wrong in this parent-child relationship. I think the opposite: Steliana and her mom has a very nice family relation. A bad parent do not apologize to his kid even they are face to face, no way to do it in public. Plus, Steliana’s smile and her mom voice make me think that I am right thinking this way.

@Ioana and Vlad: Looking at the live coverage on tv, Semeonova's mark come up late, during girls warm up on beam... No way the phone call could happen before the beam.
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad001 View Post
    If it is to translate word by word, her mom said "I hope Stela is not upset on me". The reported asked why she would be upset, and Stela's mom said "Eh, why she fell on beam? I scolded her"
    This is word-by-word translation. The same meaning of Steliana's mom words: "Eh, after she felt on beam, I did not comforte her, I did not console her, I just express my sadness"
    Last edited by Tess_AN; 10th April 2008 at 02:16.

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Ea View Post
    Thanks -again- a lot for the precision!

Also Ahotep reported on Gymnet that Cerasela is having surgery tomorrow on one of her knees.
    Anyone knows more about this?
    I feel the federation is taking the matter of her injury very seriously if they are speeding the process...
    Thank you Sri Ea. Hope that everything will be ok
    Maybe we will find out more about Cera`s situation tomorrow.
    www.fangymnastics.com

sport legend
    Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Ea View Post
    Also Ahotep reported on Gymnet that Cerasela is having surgery tomorrow on one of her knees.
    Anyone knows more about this?
    I feel the federation is taking the matter of her injury very seriously if they are speeding the process...
    Thank you for the news Sri Ea! It looks they've learn their lesson with Aluissa.
    Here you go what prosport says: http://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi...a-luni-2536637
    I am sure you don't need translation for this... and I have no idea what "artroscopie" means in Romanian! Cerasela will have an "artroscopy?" today... Briefly and important is that Forminte said that he hopes Cerasela will be back in the gym in 2 months and ready to compete on UB and VT for OG.

Reputatie
    Can I put my two cents in? I am positive that what Stela's mom said was that she was upset with her on the phone AFTER the BB routine where she fell needlessly. Not after the UB. That's why the reporter said "But she got a medal on the UB" (compensation for her not medaling on beam).
    A parent that is soley responsible for the lives and future of three children is going to be a tough and loving parent. They have to be "tough" to make sure that their kids have a good start in life and a much better future than the parent ever had, and they must be loving if they stood by their kids and raised them all along by themselves. The fact that her mother apologized on national TV, made her apology even more meaningful. Many times parents feel that they must be tough regardless about how they feel internally; they curb their emotions to apply the corective measure they feel necessary for their kid to go forward in life and have the discipline to work and achieve something. Also, imagine you get to see your child only several days/weeks a year; its a sacrifice that not only the child makes but the whole family. Her daughter has callises(bataturi) and blisters on her hands, she has had a severe back injury and recently has had pains in her foot. Not even mentioning her scary fall off the BB before the qualifications when she hit her head. Her mother knows how much pain Stela endured and how many sacrifices and how much she wants to be a fullfiled gymnast. I do not want to read too much into this, but I am certain that the sadness her mother felt was not because of her ambitions, but because she knew how much work Stela put into it. And to see a medal shot to heck because of a silly mistake is a hard thing to bear. I am certain that her mother acted the way she knew was best for Stela. The scolding and the public apology, which actually amazed me as it takes a lot of love and courage to be able to do that!, to me suggest that her mother acted only in fear of a potential failure that would waste all that sacrifice and all those years.
    I am sorry for writing about this, I didn't want to do it but I would like to take some time to explain myself. American fans, and westerners in general have a dim view of eastern and Chinese gymnasts and their families. They blame coaches and parents for forcing the girls into this sport, and they think that the girls are treated very badly, almost like slavery. Some of these fears are creeping into Romania as well. The reporter asked questions based on these assumpions, for example that they are not allowed to retire if they want to. Forminte dismissed a lot of her assumptions right in front of the smiling girls. So I am writing in English for any other non-Romanian that might read this thread. I do not want them to have an erroneous idea about our girls or about us.
    Also, because Stela might stumble on this page I do not want her to think that we are judging her mother in any way shape or form.

senior
    Reputatie
    Thank you guys for your input about Steliana's mum words since I couldn't hear the tone of their voices neither see Steliana's expression while they were speaking.
    I didn't want to involve a new debate, I'm sorry, and for what is worth, I had myself very pushy parents when I was young. Even if psychologically it was quite hard as I always had this pressure over my head that I could not possibly fail and had to be the best, I recognize that pushy parents make you more ambitious for yourself and make you always look for perfection (not that I am perfect in any way now but at least I'm always looking to be beyond reproach in everything I do at work) So I guess that's the way she was educated that has made the Steliana we know, the ambitious and energetic kid who knows how to capitalize on her great talent and potential.

About Cerasela, many thanks for the link, I have read the article in Prosport about her arthroscopy. There are 2 kinds of arthroscopies (one only for diagnosis and one for precise surgery) so I guess that's the latter one and that they will operate on the meniscus.
    Hope that means that nothing is too wrong with the ligaments on the left knee.
    Still Forminte seems to me a bit optimistic to me when he wishes to recuperate her both on VT and UB. UB will be enough for me as it won't be of much effort for the knee!
    What a pity though as Cerasela did have a good DTY at these Euros and I'm sure she could have improved more on form for the Olympics.

sport legend
    Reputatie

Airport Story

Translation note: I am not able to translate emotions and feelings. I will follow the words but I will not translate word by word, so, this wanted to be just a meaningful translation. No copy is better than the original! Please excuse any mistake - gramar, typo, meaning and so on.
    I should also mention if you don’t know already – that Sandra Izbasa started gymnastics at Steaua Bucharest Sport Club. Irina is Steaua Club’s gymnast. Lots of Steaua’s coaches were invited to welcome the gymnasts coming from European Championships. And… yes, Irina has been introduced to Stela (or vice versa!) at Romanian Nationals.

Airport Story by Mihaela

I wanted to go to welcome the gymnasts. To thank them for what they did for us, to give them flowers. I’ve been so busy that day I was not sure I can make it. Irina came from her daily training from the gym with the news I already had: The plane bringing home our golden gymnasts lands at 19:20. I would like to make Irina happy going to the airport. I would have liked to make her a surprise not telling her where we are going… but a plan is not something that is set in stone.

We left home the very last minute and I thought that getting there in time it is going to be the only issue. No way. We’ve got there before plane arrival and find out: Gymnasts will be welcome in the Official Boardroom of the Airport. Right of entry based on invitations! Huge frustration! To be so close by but not to reach!

I have to tell thank you to Irina’s coaches. With their help we’ve finally got to the Hall. I couldn’t believe we are there! We made it in time and we are in! Any minute now, the girls might come! We are so glad to be there!

The girls are coming! They wear their medals. A big smile in every little face! They are beautiful. They are so happy! A radiant happiness, from our brilliant girls! Last few days we’ve been delighted by them. Now is more. They are happy! An easily spread joy is everywhere! We are overjoyed! Special moments due to them! I used the cell phone. My hands shivered. I hope the shots caught the moment. It is hard to describe what happened. Congratulations, kisses, hugs, smiles, reporters, pictures… It was crazy! After a while things calm down a bit. I told Irina now she can go with the flowers. Steliana was half turned back when Irina was heading to her. Steliana turns to her and seeing Irina call her on her name: Irina! Steliana reach down the girl and took her in her arms! I was surprise that Stela remembers Irina so well. Irina was simply speechless! She couldn’t believe!

Stela spent quite long time talking with us. She was not arrogant, open and friendly. I felt her frustration about UB but she can let it go. She mentioned that it was no impact on her BB. The fall was not related. She simply felt during her routine something is not going to work. Irina told me that sometime only during the routine she realized that). After that they talked whatever. Gymnastics inside. I was looking to the reporters line up to take interviews and I realized I’ve been the first doing it. I look back and I’ve been a Steliana Nistor more comfortable talking to Irina and I than being on media’s attention. We talked again to her later and by the end we went with her to the bus. I liked I felt her close to us. She come towards to you, take her time to talk… trying to avoid the reporters! I don’t know, I think this is her behavior. Not proud, not self-important. Seeing her so retiring you ask yourself if this is Stela Nistor!

I talked with Cerasela for a few minutes. I asked her how she’s feeling. As you could see, she managed walking by herself but still has difficulties.

Sandra was zestful (enjoyable and excited), smiling, showing her medals, talking with everyone, she was the celebrity (super-star/movie-star). She is the only one from Bucharest and the most of people there looked for her. Only from Steaua Club there were VIP, coaches, Alina Goreac and… including Irina and I.

Gabi and Ana stayed set aside (reserved) and emotive. They’ve been touching because we offered them flowers and we want to take pictures of them.AnaMaria was welcome by her parents. They were coaches from the other clubs, vips, RGF staff, reporters.
    Last edited by Tess_AN; 10th April 2008 at 09:56.

Reputatie
    Ioana translated all very exactly, but I still want to "zoom in" some areas, because they made the show for me.

I'm not trying to disregard the reporter or the television or anything, I'm actually glad and thankful they invited the girls, is not often we get to see them talking on tv, and you can see they tried to do a good show, but the awkard or sweet moments were there, and I just can't resist to talk more about them, becuase, for me, they added salt and pepper to the show.

First was
    The reporter introduces the “4 girls who won the title” (without Gabriela, whose picture was on the background: D): Sandra, Stela, Anamaria and Cerasela.
    Then there is the montage named “Golden children”.
    Nothing to add here, I just waited for the moment when she addresed Gabriela, I bet to myself she will call her Cerasela, but she didn't, she addresed her with Gabi

-Gabriela, how did you start doing gymnastics?
    Gabriela: I was very energic when I was a kid and my mom brought me to a gym...and I liked it.
    -And that’s all?
    Gabriela: And then I wanted to do gymnastics.
    -Ok, you went to the gym for a few weeks...but after that, you still liked it?
    Gabriela: Yes.
    -How are the training sessions in the beginning?
    Gabriela: Simple elements, to get used to.
    -And afterwards?
    Gabriela: We start doing more elements, more difficult...
    (The girls were very shy, especially Gabi and Stela. And the reporter seemed pissed off they don't talk more, and trying to make them talk more, but asking the wrong questions. )
    -Ok, you went to the gym for a few weeks...but after that, you still liked it?
    Gabriela: Yes.(but she had that look on her face, "what question is that, why wouldn't I still like it?")
    -And afterwards?
    Gabriela: We start doing more elements, more difficult...
    - That's all?
    Gabriela, almost whispering: Yes

Forminte: Firstly we are using what nature gave us...the human body is built in such a way that it can do these kinds of elements. And, as Gabi described very well, we start we simple elements and move on slowly to more complex ones. First we are practicing the elements and, in the end, they become an exercise. Normally, the coaches make from the beginning an exercise which structure is kept the same till the end. Or at least that would be ideal. To this exercise we add slowly more and more elements. And in the end we arrive to exercises like those you’ve seen to the Worlds (probably he meant Europeans), which are very difficult.
    Forminte: Firstly we are using what nature gave us...(Reporter talking over: Obviously!) the human body is built in such a way that it can do these kinds of elements. And, as Gabi described very well, we start with simple elements (Gabi's face is on TV, she is serious for 2 seconds, then smiles largely, then bite her lips and tries to hide) and move on slowly to more complex ones. First we are practicing the elements and, in the end, they become an exercise. (Suddenly, they show Sandra's face, who seems to entertain herself like at a good comedy show. Realizing she's on the screen, tries to become serios.) Normally, the coaches make from the beginning an exercise which structure is kept the same till the end. Or at least that would be ideal. To this exercise we add slowly more and more elements.(they show Stela, who's listening Forminte very attentif, but when she sees her serious face on screen, she starts smiling, but tries hard not to) And in the end we arrive to very diffcult exercises (Stela finally burst in laughing) like those you’ve seen to the Worlds (Forminte's voice is changing at the last words, it seems he has a hard time not to laugh too)

-Why are you laughing? Don’t you agree with your coach?
    -Why are you laughing? Don’t you agree with your coach?
    Stela and Gabi in the same time: Noooo (like "is not that". They show Sandra and Forminte smiling, Gabi is serious)
    Reporter to Stela: I don't want to discourage you, tell us what you think
    (Stela is silent)
    Sandra: We were just listening to the coach

What do would you like to say to your daughter after these nice results? Did you talk to her? What are you feeling now and when you are seeing her here? And especially if you could tell her sth now (and they are showing Sandra instead )
    (Sandra looked perplex when seen her face on the screen, then almost laughing, but she holds herself well. A voice in background, probably Gabi: "Sandra, you just found your mom". Sandra, without moving her lips or changing her face: "Ahem")

then she asked some (stupid) questions regarding the way they are having fun, if they go to pubs etc...
    -Do you surf the internet often?
    Girls: Yes
    -And you like reading about you?
    Girls: Yes
    - Sandra, when you read about you, you think that the journalist was mean to you? Or what do you think?
    Sandra: I can't criticize anyone..
    -Are you sure?
    Sandra: Yes, is more like they make me laugh.
    -But in your free time, what you do, you go to disco?
    Sandra: (laughing) Nope. (Forminte laughs too). We stay in our room, sometimes we go out in the city..
    (Reporter talking over) - Once in a year you go?
    Sandra: Where? To disco? Depends.
    - Have you ever been?
    Sandra: For example, when was Steliana's birtday, we've been in a club (looking for her words)
    (The hystorian interviens laughing) - Look at her how scared she is, she just spoke her mind. You put Stela in trouble, this supposed to be a secret...
    Sandra: No, no, we've been togheter with the coaches, the party was even organized by coach Forminte and miss Francu. And that was the only time we've been in a club...
    Rep: Ahem (like "I don't belive that". To the rest of the girls) You've been some more or just like Sandra?
    (Forminte talking first): We are in a bit of contradiction here. You told at the beginning of the show how we succeed to achieve this succes inspite of all the dicussions, mistrust, and pesimist toughts. Do you really think, in this atmosphere, when this new generation had so much to grow to fulfill the expectations, they could think about disco?
    - I didn't imagined you let them go to disco before europeans, but I thought maybe 2-3 moths ago...
    Forminte: You should know this atmospere was the same from the beginning..
    (Reporter talkinkg over): - When you want to reward them, what do you offer them?
    Forminte: Usually, what they want
    -And what is they want?
    Forminte: Various things every time, we manage to find out..
    (Reporter to the girls) -That means you don't want to go to disco?
    Stela: We want, but only when we should...
    Forminte: At the disco they go sometimes when they are in recovery. They can consider they go to disco at the end of the contests. Even now, after europeans, it was a party...
    - How is that, like theate, movies, circus?
    Stela: No, that's real disco
    -Girls only...
    Stela: No, all the people...
    - Oh, with your families...
    (Sandra looking like she wants so say something, but.. better not)
    Forminte: I don't know... I've met those questions with the previous generation.. with all that happened. I think at this age the problem of the boys should not be a priority no. 1. Is them who want to do this very serious thing, they have to respect...
    (Reported talking over)- Very tough rules
    Forminte - Is not very tough, and rules like that are in every domain when you want performance, including in television
    - Yes, but you apply those rules after an age, not in your childhood..
    Forminte: I think, some kids that have the chanse to fulfil theyr dreams before 20 are happier than a person who, from 18 to 62, stays leaned over a sawing machine, 8-10 hours a day
    Hystorian - But how can you motivate those kids to work 12 hours a day at 14-15 years old?
    Forminte: But they don't work 12 hours a day. They usually work 6 hours a day, 3 in the morning, 3 in the evening. And is not the same program always. Gymastics is an acyclyc sport..

Andreea Raducan was also on the phone and she said she doesn’t regret the sacrifices she made during that period. She said she trusts the girls and she wishes them to show the best at the Olympics.
    (They talked a little about olymics after Andreea wished them luck)

- What do you hope from Olympics? (To Sandra) Don't say you want to take all the gold!
    Sandra - No, I'm more realistic than that. I want health, a medal with the team, one in AA, one for floor and one for beam

Gabi: A gold medal for team, and, if possible, a medal on beam, is my favourite event.
    - As bright as possible?
    Gabi: Yes
    - Don't be modest, you are our champion!
    (Gabi looking at her, like "Really? I am?")

(In this time they show the results from european, near every medal is a picture of the gymnast, and near the floor bronze medal they show the picture of Lorena Coza from Italy. Lorena is also in the huge poster on the back, in one of the 5 olympic circles. They must have mistaken her for Anamaria )

Stela: I want to be healthy, me and the girls, to be able to train and be present at olympics and do well there, we all want that, and I hope for a medal in AA, and bars... or beam. Or both, doesn't matter.

Anamaria: Gold medal with the team, and medal on floor and beam
    - On floor I think you don't want bronze again, you want... What do you want? Say fast!
    Ana: If possible gold.
    (Forminte to Sandra: Look at her, she's challenging you! Well done!)

At the end they gave them as presents collections with olympics mascots, they obtain the mascots from China's embassy.
    --[B]Blaise Pascal:[/B]
    It is the fight alone that pleases us, not the victory.

Reputatie
    thanks a lot Vlad for finishing it. I didn't have the patience to do it last night.
    And also for the comments, indeed there were some really funny facial expressions combined with the rather stupid questions...but I have to see that again, as I was pausing it every 2 seconds

And it's really nice to discuss about this show...although the interviewer wasn't the best, it's the only one so long with these girls. It helped us to see that they indeed get along well, that they can have fun and that Forminte is quite close to them...contrary to what some people say, about the "terror" from Romanian gymnastics.
    These girls do this sport because they chose so, nobody seems to have forced them in any way.
    And, even though they seemed shy, Anamaria and Gabi spoke quite nicely...and I cannot stop thinking how cute the girls are...as usual, we have one of the most beautiful teams (not that it would help at the Olympics, but just as an observation...)

and...I really like that they said they want medals, possibly gold! that's the right atitude for winning!

Reputatie
    Thank you so much for translation all this for us!!! The video is really interesting.

I also hope everything will go well with Cerasela`s surgery!!

Reputatie
    Thanks, Ioana and Vlad, for the translation Good job and a lot of work

Well, from this interview I love the girls!!! They are all soooo cute and they make such a great team It's great having them in our country and as our pride...I hope things will go as they wish in Beijing

senior
    Reputatie
    Thank you vlad and Tess for the great translation (and originally many thanks to Mihaela for the nice insider report at the airport)! You have spoiled us, really.
    That's a pity I haven't still been able to watch the show because some of the facial expressions you describe sound so funny!
    As for Stela's sweetness, I know that all of the gymnastics fans who have met her even very briefly (like it happened to me in Spain last year) do agree that she's always a sweetheart with everyone... so I am absolutely not surprised with her nice and touching demeanour at the airport...

Reputatie
    others commenting upon our comeback in the top gymnastics to the occasion of the european championship
    http://addicted2gym.blogspot.com/
    Exista unii oameni care reusesc sa aibe succes chiar si atunci cand nimeni nu crede in ei, dar niciodata
    nu va avea succes unul care nici el nu crede in el insusi.

sport legend
    Reputatie
    While waiting for inside news from Cottus, here you go Cata10 report from Buzau:
    Big number of participants in girls competition. Juniors level III, II and I will compete on Saturday starting at 09:20 and the little ones level IV on Sunday. It will be “2 in 1” - teams plus AA competition. If EF medals are awarded it will be "3 in 1". Not sure yet.
    Angy, 10 years old is cat III and Irina, 9 years old – cat IV.
    Go Angy! Go Irina!
    Last edited by Tess_AN; 12th April 2008 at 11:24.

Reputatie
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/sports...ame=sportsNews about Sandra Izbasa performances in Clermont Ferrand
    Exista unii oameni care reusesc sa aibe succes chiar si atunci cand nimeni nu crede in ei, dar niciodata
    nu va avea succes unul care nici el nu crede in el insusi.

junior
    Reputatie
    Hi everybody. I finally got around to signing up here

Reputatie
    Hello Nicole and welcome!
    www.fangymnastics.com

sport legend
    Reputatie
    Welcome on board Nicole! We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Reputatie
    Hey, Nicole Nice meeting you

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole25 View Post
    Hi everybody. I finally got around to signing up here
    Welcome
    When you have time, please tell us what you think about the past Europeans...and about the Cottbus competition which takes place these days.

Reputatie
    Hello everyone! Just wanted to say I am here too (Tes from GW). I tried to read in Romanian about the school championships. Love the pics, thanks so much! Are there some results known already?

Reputatie
    Hey, Tes Nice meeting you too

Probably we'll have some results within some days from our "reporters" there