Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sinead Kerr/John Kerr

Reputatie
    Ms de poze....superb programul de la gala!

Reputatie
    ce frumoase sunt. as putea sa ma uit la ei ore intregi !!!
    "Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive."

Reputatie
    ce scumpi sunt
    [B][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"][I]I don't believe in God, I believe in Roger Federer[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Reputatie
    Sinead and John prepare for Olympic tilt

Mar 5 2009 by Eric MacKinnon, West Lothian Courier

SINEAD and John Kerr were busy preparing for one of the biggest nights of their lives.

Not since 1994 – and the heyday of the legendary Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean – had the UK earned a figure skating medal – but that was all about to change.

They took their place on the ice and a hush fell over the Helsinki arena before in a sudden flash, the opening bars of Muse track Ruled By Secrecy burst forth like a ravenous beast returning to reclaim its territory

The Livingston siblings set off to the hiss of the steel blades on ice and produced a stunning emotional dance that brought a podium place, a prestigious medal and a place alongside the greats of British skating.

Sinead and John Kerr claimed bronze for Britain's first medal in 15 years at the European ice dance championships in Finland, pipping France's Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat to the podium to win their first major medal.

It was the culmination of years of hard work and sacrifice for the duo who have been skating for most of their lives and have progressed from the local rinks of West Lothian to the international arena where comparisons to Torvill and Dean are inevitable.

The Kerr siblings are six times British champions, equalling the record set by, you guessed it, Jayne and Christopher.

And although keen to leave their own legacy John admits to being thrilled at being talked about in the same breath as the legends.

"It's nice to be compared to them," said John, "but to be honest we are only compared to them because we are all British. We have very different styles and they were of course huge stars worldwide.

"Chris and Jayne are the ice skating equivalent of guys like Diego Maradona or Pele in football and we just want to keep doing what we are doing and earn reputations in our own right."

Taking their place on the podium in Helsinki meant the West Lothian pair joined a very exclusive club of UK medal winners and justified their decision to leave their home in Scotland and resettle on the opposite side of the Atlantic in New Jersey.

It’s been a long and difficult road to where they are now with both admitting they have had to sacrifice a lot in their personal lives due to their dedication to ice skating – including Irn-Bru.

John continued: "We moved to America in the summer of 2006 and it was definitely the right move for us. In coaching terms it was an easy decision to make as the best coaches are all based over here and we needed that calibre of coach to take our skating to the next level.

"There are a few things we miss about Scotland but at the moment home cooked meals aren't one of them as our mum is visiting us at the moment so that's great. I do miss my friends and being able to nip down to Livingston or Edinburgh at anytime I fancy but I also miss Irn-Bru.

"My mum brings over other things we love from home like Jammie Dodgers but it's harder to bring Irn-Bru over in case it depressureises and bursts all over her luggage. I believe you can get it in New York but not where we are in New Jersey.

“It has also been amazing to not just see but skate in places and at sites you've only ever seen on TV like the Rockefeller Centre, Central Park and on Long Island."

Sinead was the first in the family to be bitten by the ice-skating bug at just five years of age and it took her younger brother a little longer to join in.

He didn’t follow his sister onto the ice for a further five years and they didn't team up for another decade.

John continued: "I started skating at the local rink in Livingston when I was eight or nine years old. A lot of people start earlier than that but I took it up simply for something to do. It was a new hobby for me but like anything once you get into something and get good at it you keep going.

"It wasn't until I was aged about 18 and Sinead 20 that we decided to team up. She was definitely the best partner I could possibly get and to be honest, she shouldn't have given me a second glance due to the level she had reached.

"I was lacking in experience but she gave me a chance to do something in a different part of the sport which I took."

But the road to figure skating silverware has been paved with odd jobs and opportunities of a lifetime.

John has starred in a Hollywood blockbuster while Sinead strutted her stuff on an Alexander McQueen ice catwalk infront of A-Listers like Jude Law and Oscar winner Kate Winslet.

And they could both be stars of the small screen as well after John revealed they could have been skating with stars every Sunday night had they accepted an invitation from Torvill and Dean.

The West Lothian pair were invited to join the first series of the ITV smash-hit Dancing on Ice by Jayne Torvill.

The ITV show pairs ice skaters with celebrities and John has revealed that they had been pencilled in as two of the professional skaters to dance with the stars every Sunday night.

But the New Jersey-based duo snubbed the offer to focus on their Olympic dream.

John admitted: "We were invited to join and skate with some of the celeb's on the first series of the TV show but it was in the middle of our Olympic season so we couldn't do it.

"I have seen the show and anything which raises the profile of ice skating is a good thing. But to be honest we also felt many of the celebrities were so D-List that we would have been more famous than them."

And 28-year-old John also acted as Rangers and Scotland legend Ally McCoist's body-double but he isn't sure if his Hollywood debut made it past the cutting room floor.

"I ended up working as an extra on the Robert Duvall movie A Shot at Glory as a body double for Ally McCoist

"He was heavier than me,"
    insisted John, "but they needed a double for him as he ran across some sand dunes because he was playing for Kilmarnock at the time. They cut my hair in a certain way but it was a far-off shot and one I don't even know made the final cut."

In three weeks time Sinead and John are back in competitive action for the World Championships in Los Angeles in which results could have a big bearing on places at next year's Winter Olympics

"We're going to Los Angeles in three weeks in what will be qualifiers for the Olympic Games in Vancouver," said John

"This will be a very important event and we are completely focused on that at the moment although a medal at the Olympics has always been our dream."

Their skating career is in the more than capable hands and feet of their Ukranian coach Evgeny Platov who John admits has a CV to rival most on the ice.

"He is a two-time Olympic Champion but his claim to fame is that he beat Torvill and Dean which is something he never tires of reminding us of," he laughed.The memories of their medal-winning display remain understandably fresh in the minds of both Sinead and John and he admits taking their place on the podium was an emotional moment.

"When the marks came up we knew we were in with a decent chance,"
    admitted John, "and I did get a little tearful.

"It was a very important moment for us and made it all worthwhile. After many years of hard work and support it was a nice reward.

"We've had great funding from UKSport and from the Scottish Institute for Sport and we'd like to thank them for their continuing support and the medal was great for everyone involved."

A flash of sequins under the lights are a common sight at ice rinks but at the championships John reveals he and his sister sported 'designer rags'.

John added: "Our costumes at the event were actually just normal clothes but they were ripped and shredded like we had been in a bomb blast. "The concept was disasters so we were wearing shredded clothes which I suppose you could call designer rags.

"The song we performed to when we won the bronze was by Muse and a lot of thought goes into our song choice as you have to determine whether it is skateable.

"It is a long process and in fact anytime we hear a song on the radio or at the movies we wonder if we could skate to it.”

Ice skating has certainly come a long way since the first recorded instances in Southern Finland more than 4000 years ago when skates were fashioned from sharpened and flattened pieces of bone strapped to the bottom of the foot.

Now ice skating has brought a West Lothian brother and sister to the peak of their sporting mountain and few would bet against seeing Olympic gold resting on the family mantlepiece in Livingston before long.

http://www.westlothiancourier.co.uk/...2405-23062792/
    [B][I][CENTER]Zoltan Kelemen/Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat/Alena Leonova/ Anna Cappelini & Luca Lanotte/Florent Amodio/Aliona Savchebko & Robin Szolkowy/Alexander Majorov/[/CENTER][/I][/B]

[CENTER] Anybody can root for a winning side. It takes character to stick with the underdogs![/CENTER]

Reputatie
    Fd-ul din sezonul acesta prezentat in premiera la o competitie locala in Sheffield:
    http://www.payview.co.uk/channels/sp...-nisa+tv/1025/
    [B][I][CENTER]Zoltan Kelemen/Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat/Alena Leonova/ Anna Cappelini & Luca Lanotte/Florent Amodio/Aliona Savchebko & Robin Szolkowy/Alexander Majorov/[/CENTER][/I][/B]

[CENTER] Anybody can root for a winning side. It takes character to stick with the underdogs![/CENTER]

Reputatie
    wow, patineaza pe linkin park !!!! imi place mult melodia aleasa si mai ales cum e remixata
    thanks iulia !!!
    [B][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"][I]I don't believe in God, I believe in Roger Federer[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Reputatie
    nu e finisat programul inca dar eu zic ca are potential si ca de obicei vin cu ceva interesant !
    "Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive."

Reputatie
    No kilts for Kerrs on road to Vancouver
    Scottish siblings tap Cash, Linkin Park for Olympic season
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Reputatie
    Fd-ul de la Findlandia Trophy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNw2MEERAQM

Reputatie

Reputatie
    imi plac costumele de la od...as vrea sa vad programele. cand apar sa le puna cineva, va rog!

Reputatie
    [COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]~He's a maniac, maniac on the ice floor
    And he's skating like he never did before~[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Reputatie
    ce frumos...amuzanti amandoi ! imi place johnny

Reputatie
    Kerrs head to Scotland for Christmas
    British ice dance champions head home for family time
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Reputatie
    Oh, John, ochii mei nedemni vor vedea din nou kiltul tau! The joy!
    La mondiale o sa-si schimbe originalul, vor prezenta din nou dansul scotian: "We have decided to switch from our Johnny Cash number to our Scottish Original Dance that we last performed competitively in 2008. We both just felt a little tired of performing ‘I’ve been Everywhere’ and the thought of getting to perform our Scottish number in competition again felt very exciting." (http://www.sineadandjohn.com/)

Reputatie
    me happy !!!

Reputatie
    interesant ! mie-mi place

Reputatie
    Si mie imi place! Dansul scotian chiar li se potriveste!
    "Că ai căzut nu are importanță deoarece numai modul în care te ridici contează" Nelson Mandela

"Figure skating needs to be aesthetic" Stephane Lambiel
    Echipa de Gimnastică a României-Simply the best

Reputatie
    daca-i de-al lor, de la mama lor