Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: English Forum: the beginning

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinaE View Post
    Thanks so much for the translation! Wow, sounds like those kids are really hard workers already! I hope they will do very well next weekend!
    If you are interested we will keep you posted with what happened...we don't know much ourselves, but there people are directly involved in that on this forum, who give us all the information (thanks

sport legend
    Reputatie
    Thank you Martina for the news about Maxi Gnauck. You'll find here the news about Buzau April 10-13.
    Congrats to Chuso gold on vault at EC!

3. 7th April 2008, 14:38
    Reason
    dublura

4. 7th April 2008, 14:38
    Reason
    dublura

Reputatie
    Oh yes, that would be awesome if you could keep me posted on things happening within Romanian gymnastics! Romania has always been one of my top favorite teams.

And Tess - you are welcome about the info on Maxi. I`m happy when I`m able to help a little, too. Two years ago Maxi was a guest at the World Cup event in Cottbus also. I`ve seen her in the hotel.

Now it`s time for Cottbus again - I`m so much looking forward to it. Stela and Sandra are on the list of competitiors. So I guess they might travel there from France directly!?

sport legend
    Reputatie
    Now it`s time for Cottbus again - I`m so much looking forward to it. Stela and Sandra are on the list of competitiors. So I guess they might travel there from France directly!?
    If you go to Cottbus, I'll love to get here you comments and your pictures!
    By the way... we have some videos from EC on Video Threads - it is in the first page of gymnastics forum - as this thread is.... I guess it is easy to find.

Before Cottbus we have the Juniors/kids competition at Buzau -School Championship, April 10-13 and we have "our own" forum representants: Angy 10 years old and Irina 9 years old. Angy is busumary's and Irina is IrinaP's daugethers. All of us keep our fingers crossed for them. Hai Angy! Hai Irina! we want medals!

Reputatie
    Martina are you going to Cottbus???? If so, we would really really like your impressions here, and your story

To answer to your question, Sandra and Stela, as well as the whole team, came back in the country today...so I assume they will leave in the second part of the week,

Reputatie
    yes, please, tell us how it went in Cottbus (your impression)...we are also looking forward to see the girls performing there

I really hope Stela gets over the dissapointment from yesterday and competes at her best...I really wanted her to have a gold medal...but I am very proud of her silver medal, so close to the gold!
    Sandra needed the gold medal to get over the bad last year...and she did it. I really hope both of them will continue the progress and medal at the Olimpics, they deserve so much after what they've done for the Romanian team. Hai Stela, hai Sandra! ("hai" means "go" in Romanian)
    Last edited by ioanavol; 8th April 2008 at 01:06.

Reputatie
    it seems that they had some fun after the competition
    http://tvr.ro/articol.php?id=34564&c=137
    And what they say it's quite nice:
    Sandra says that winning European gold is no reason to become arrogant...maybe winning gold in the Olympics, but not even that.
    Stela says that she hopes she's learnt her lesson...it already happened the second time (I guess she's talking about the fall on BB), but that she hopes it won't happen also the third time.

Reputatie
    Yes, I have the same wishes for the girls absolutely!!!

And yeah, I will be in Cottbus! I will go for all 3 days of competition and can`t wait. I will be sure to take photos! And of course I`ll tell you everything when I`m back.
    Also thanks a lot for the hint on the videos! I kind of can`t stop watching Sandra`s floor......:p

It`s awesome IrinaP`s daughter will compete at the School Championships!! Of course I wish her and also Angy all the best and much success for this competition!!!

Reputatie
    By the way, from how it sounds in the texts put on the official website for the Cottbus World Cup it seems Romania is sending more girls actually! Do you know anything about this?
    They say Romania is sending World class gymnasts again including Nistor and Izbasa...

sport legend
    Reputatie
    I don't know anything - but thank you for the news!! Maybe they include the male gymnasts too? It would be great to see one of the other gymnasts too

sport legend
    Reputatie
    By the way, from how it sounds in the texts put on the official website for the Cottbus World Cup it seems Romania is sending more girls actually! Do you know anything about this?
    They say Romania is sending World class gymnasts again including Nistor and Izbasa...
    ioana20 just posted this in another thread: http://www.gsp.ro/stire/doua-gimnast...bus-63081.html - from today's GSP newspaper
    Initially, they were going to send 3 gymnasts but RGF said only Sandra and Steliana will go to Cottbus.
    No male Romanian gymnast will go to Cottbus this year.
    Last edited by Tess_AN; 9th April 2008 at 21:05.

Reputatie
    Thanks a lot for this information! It is good to have some official statement about it at least.
    And I am happy Sandra and Stela will still compete. Hmm maybe they would have sent Cerasela as a third gymnast if it wasn`t for her injury.....

senior
    Reputatie
    What a pity... I really wished they would have sent one more gymnast who didn't get the chance to shine at Euros such as Alina Stanculescu or Andreea Acatrinei, etc. Or even Anamaria or Gabriela to confirm their good progression.

sport legend
    Reputatie
    Thanks a lot for this information! It is good to have some official statement about it at least.
    And I am happy Sandra and Stela will still compete. Hmm maybe they would have sent Cerasela as a third gymnast if it wasn`t for her injury.....
    The news is from today from GSP newspaper/magazine - you've seen the link.
    Also they mentioned that the man's couch, Dan Grecu doesn't want Cottbus because is too close to EC scxhedule in May.

... yah... it would have been good if Cerasela could make it, it would have been great if Cerasela was not injured.

@Sri Ea: Do you know is Cottbus based on invitation? I was thinking the same but I really don't know the rules. Any competion is good for every gymnast to get more experience...
    Last edited by Tess_AN; 9th April 2008 at 21:21.

Reputatie
    Cottbus is not based on invitation. Every nation can sign up their gymnasts - up to 6 male and 4 female. They have forms for that on the website.
    I`m not sure if they also contact Federations about the meet, but I think the nations are free to send gymnasts of their choice.

Reputatie
    I will try to translate the interview from Realitatea here, but it will take a while, I am just watching it now

Reputatie
    http://www.realitatea.net//jurnal_37327_arhiva.html

The reporter introduces the “4 girls who won the title” (without Gabriela, whose picture was on the background: D): Sandra, Stela, Anamaria and Cerasela.
    Then there is the montage named “Golden children”.

Welcome!

- Did you expect that this would happen (i.e. winning the gold)? Despite so many negative comments?
    Sandra: We wanted to show that we haven’t disappeared, that Romanian gymnastics is still in top and, with the help of the coaches, we succeeded in bringing medals to Romania.
    -Tell us a bit about your life. I understood that you first tried playing tennis, then fencing and then playing handball. Why gymnastics?
    Sandra: Because gymnastics I liked the most. Indeed I played tennis, but I didn’t like it so much. Afterwards I played handball for a while and I had a very good coach in school, who helped me go to the national team. I had to give up handball, however, as soon as I left to Onesti to the national (junior) team.

-Stela, what is your story? How did you start practicing gymnastics?
    Stela: I was at school with my mom and dad and then Mrs. Raluca Bugner discovered me.
    -And did you like it from the first moment? Because I know it’s very difficult. You were telling me before the show that you only visit your parents one week per year.
    Stela: Yes, we are only allowed to go home one week per year, but they can visit us whenever they can and they want.
    -It’s true, but it’s different than if you live with them, eat with them...
    Stela: Yes, but you need to make sacrifices if you want to succeed in life.
    -What means “succeeding in life” for you? It’s medals now, but afterwards?
    Stela: Afterwards I’ll see. First I want to succeed to achieve my goals at the Olympics and then I’ll take care of the rest.

-Anamaria, you were the revelation of the Europeans. What are your hopes for the Olympics?
    Anamaria: At the Olympics I hope to be on the first place with the team and maybe to get medals on BB and FX events.
    -And were do you think you have more chances?
    Anamaria: Both at the BB and FX.
    -Both at the BB and FX...how many times have you fallen from the beam?
    Anamaria: Many times.
    -And on FX when the music starts what do you feel? Do you relax or the opposite?
    Anamaria: No, I have to be very focused. And to pay very much attention to the execution.
    -And after the first diagonal?
    Anamaria: As focused as in the beginning.
    -You become more and more focused?
    Anamaria: Yes.
    -I understand...What did you find the most difficult so far while doing gymnastics?
    Anamaria: Coming back after injuries.
    -And did you get injured many times?
    Anamaria: Not so many times.
    -Tell us how it was one of these times...
    Anamaria: The last time I injured was last year at Stuttgart, at the WC...
    -What did it happen there?
    Anamaria: I missed the bar before landing and I hurt my knee. And I couldn’t compete anymore.
    -And how long did it last till you got well?
    Anamaria: One month...
    -And what did the recuperation mean? Tell us, cause we don’t know what it happens.
    Anamaria: I stayed two weeks with the gyps and two more weeks I recovered. Then, slowly, I come back.
    -And you recovered completely...
    Anamaria: Yes.
    -And you amazed everybody!

-Gabriela, how did you start doing gymnastics?
    Gabriela: I was very energic when I was a kid and my mom brought me to a gym...and I liked it.
    -And that’s all?
    Gabriela: And then I wanted to do gymnastics.
    -Ok, you went to the gym for a few weeks...but after that, you still liked it?
    Gabriela: Yes.
    -How are the training sessions in the beginning?
    Gabriela: Simple elements, to get used to.
    -And afterwards?
    Gabriela: We start doing more elements, more difficult...
    -I have seen some training sessions on TV and you seemed to do a lot, to bend a lot...how do you arrive to that? Or maybe the coach could tell us.
    How do these girls become so flexible?
    Forminte: Firstly we are using what nature gave us...the human body is built in such a way that it can do these kinds of elements. And, as Gabi described very well, we start we simple elements and move on slowly to more complex ones. First we are practicing the elements and, in the end, they become an exercise. Normally, the coaches make from the beginning an exercise which structure is kept the same till the end. Or at least that would be ideal. To this exercise we add slowly more and more elements. And in the end we arrive to exercises like those you’ve seen to the Worlds (probably he meant Europeans), which are very difficult.
    (the girls are smiling...especially when seeing each other on TV )
    -Why are you laughing? Don’t you agree with your coach?
    The girls: No, we are listening to him
    -You make everything to look so simple...but I know it’s not. I have seen you while training and your hands were full of bruises. You laugh also then?
    Stela (I guess): Well, it depends on the pain...how bad it is.
    -And do you have often pain in your hands?
    Stela (I guess): It depends how long you’re training...you cannot work 2 days and stay other 3.
    -How long do you train continuously?
    Stela: 6-7 hours per day.
    -Mr. Forminte, you declared a while a go that Romanian gymnastics is in a crisis, that fewer and fewer kids come to do gymnastics.
    Forminte: Yes, many people refer to that interview, although it doesn’t reflect what I wanted to say. I was referring to the kinds who do less sport in Romania, not gymnastics in particular.
    -It’s something which occurs in whole Europe...
    Forminte: Yes, all Europe experiences this...kids doing less and less sports...And in Romania even the sport hours in schools became less and optional, which makes kids like less and less doing sports. There are many causes for this, like the decreasing number of kids, but also the financial situation of many families, when the parents are forced to leave and work abroad. That’s what I wanted to say, but apparently the journalist wrote his point of view and not mine.
    -How do you get along with the parents of the gymnasts?
    Forminte: I think we are in good terms...
    -I am convinced of that, but how is it?
    Forminte: I am trying to encourage the parents to influence (take care of...don’t know the exact translation) their kids even if from far away. In the end this was a family decision.
    -But there are parents who abandon their kids...in the end, it’s difficult to be in close contact with a child whom you see only a month per year...
    Forminte: No, in the national team there is no such a case. No matter the financial situation from home, they are all responsible parents who want that their children achieve something in life.
    -I wasn’t referring to a real abandon (legally speaking)...but the relationships can become worse...
    Forminte: No, that’s not the case because there are mobile phones now.

-Perfect. Let’s see what a parent has to say...We are talking to the mother of Steliana Nistor. Good evening.
    Stela’s mom: Good evening.
    -What do would you like to say to your daughter after these nice results? Did you talk to her? What are you feeling now and when you are seeing her here? And especially if you could tell her sth now (and they are showing Sandra instead )
    Stela’s mom: Firstly, I would like to congratulate the whole team, to the girls and to Mr. Forminte, who supported them! I would like to tell Stela that I love her very much and I hope she won’t be upset on me...she fell from the beam after I scolded her...
    Stela: I’ve made a mistake, but I’ll continue.
    Forminte: Mistakes can happen...sometimes they are to our advantage (when others make them) and sometimes we make them and we loose.
    Stela’s mom: I hope it won’t happen at the Olympics.
    -Yes, but she also took the silver on the UB...the mistake almost doesn’t count anymore. What did you tell Stela then? Were you so tough on her?
    Stela’s mom: Tough not, but I said I would have liked her to take a medal...but it’s ok she’ll take sth at the Olympics. Won’t you, Stela?
    Stela: I’m working hard and we all wish we would win...
    -But you brought the most points to the team, didn’t you?
    Stela: Well, I cannot say that...
    Forminte: Yes, she is the only one who worked on all 4 events...she’s bigger, that’s why we work her more
    -How did you make her so tough, because tonight she seems the toughest of all girls here? Is she so tough at home?
    Stela’s mom: At home? She won’t come home until winter...so we won’t see each other till then.
    Stela: After the Olympics we’ll see each other at the airport
    -Thank you very much for your intervention, please give us a message for Steliana. What do you wish her?
    Stela’s mom: I wish her to be healthy, to all the girls to be tough and I respect Mr. Forminte.

and then she talked to the other person there (a historian??)...

then she asked some (stupid) questions regarding the way they are having fun, if they go to pubs etc...

Andreea Raducan was also on the phone and she said she doesn’t regret the sacrifices she made during that period. She said she trusts the girls and she wishes them to show the best at the Olympics.

that’s about it...I didn’t know it’s so long, but I didn’t want to give up after I promised

senior
    Reputatie
    Oh wow! Thank you thank you thank you! What an awesome effort and I know it has taken so much time from you!
    ... Hmmm... I don't know if it is coming from the translation because writing is not the same as hearing but i was rather uncomfortable with Steliana's mum words to her daughter. She seems quite tough and seems to be putting so much pressure on Steliana. The "Won't you Stela?" gave me shivers in my back spine... I think she ought to know that Stela is already doing her best!

There is something I didn't quite understand also. When you wrote :"she fell from the beam after I scolded her." Did she fell from beam just after her mother had actually scolded her (by phone???)? Or did she fell off beam and so her mother scolded her afterwards (it would still be bad but at least less than the first option)...?

Reputatie
    Yes, that was also most of the discussion on the video thread about...what she said...well, I have to admit she didn't sound as badly as I expected from what I've read on the forum. The tone of the voice sounded more like worriness than being mad...and Stella was smiling...so I don't know. I remember my parents were also expected only high grades of me in primary school, they just got used to them, so I kind of understand her...but of course I don't know what exactly happened between them.

About the fall, I also didn't quite get it because they were talking more at the same time...it appears though (from what also vlad said) that she scolded her after UB (although I don't imagine when she had time, it only took a few minutes between UB and BB finals). Then she thought Stela might have fell because of that, but Stela suggested that it was only a mistake, with no relation to that.

senior
    Reputatie
    Thanks -again- a lot for the precision!

Also Ahotep reported on Gymnet that Cerasela is having surgery tomorrow on one of her knees.
    Anyone knows more about this?
    I feel the federation is taking the matter of her injury very seriously if they are speeding the process...

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanavol View Post
    About the fall, I also didn't quite get it because they were talking more at the same time...it appears though (from what also vlad said) that she scolded her after UB (although I don't imagine when she had time, it only took a few minutes between UB and BB finals). Then she thought Stela might have fell because of that, but Stela suggested that it was only a mistake, with no relation to that.
    Eeh, I did said that before, like her mother scolded Stela after UB, but now I've looked again at the video and I'm not so sure anymore.
    If it is to translate word by word, her mom said "I hope Stela is not upset on me". The reported asked why she would be upset, and Stela's mom said "Eh, why she fell on beam? I scolded her"

I interpreted the first time she thinks Stela fell on beam because she scolded her before, but it can be interpreted as she scolded her by saying her "Why you fell on beam?"
    --[B]Blaise Pascal:[/B]
    It is the fight alone that pleases us, not the victory.